Tuesday, March 11, 2014

garden-to-be

marking out garden-to-be 018 My husband and I shuffled through the snow to mark out the edges of my garden-to-be.

I'm getting prices for putting in nice fencing around the plot. I'd like 4 foot post and rail. I'll put some kind of wire netting behind it, like chicken wire, to keep the rabbits out. I'll dig it down 6 inches to keep the woodchucks out. Then probably an electric wire at the top (or a 6 foot extension of plastic fencing) to keep the deer out.

Alternatively, we've been thinking we may just go with light weight fencing and metal poles all around this year and put in the post and rail next year. That'll give me some time to see how the location and size work out before adding a permanent fence.

The snow is starting to disappear from some of the sunniest areas. The ground is showing along the little brook that runs behind may garden-to-be. Tomorrow, we have an inch of rain coming. Maybe that will melt more of our snow.

stream by garden-to-be 012 garden-to-be 007 new sprinkler head waiting by garden-to-be garden-to-be 019

3 comments:

Marian (LondonUK) said...

It looks lovely Kathy, how wonderful to have the sound of a "tinkling" brook nearby whilst you garden or relax.
Marian (LondonUK)

Claire said...

Love the drawing plans of your garden! Looks beautiful (... even with the snow :) )

Claire
theblogbloom.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking of trying this fencing idea to keep out deer, rabbits, etc. (from the cooperative extension at the University of Maryland and Master Gardeners):
http://groweat.blogspot.com/2014/03/fishing-line-deer-fence-update.html#axzz2x09M9JW6
Anna