Wednesday, October 29, 2014

hoops ready for covering

tunnel supports IMG_0123 My winter bed is ready to be covered. The weather has been beautiful so far this month. Perfect for growing a bed full of greens. Today, we are expecting more warm sunny weather, but Thursday, temperatures are going down. I'll get out the plastic and cover the bed today.

tunnel supports IMG_0151tunnel supports IMG_0144 tunnel supports IMG_0121tunnel supports IMG_0156 Not sure if I should put the gnomes in the winter tunnel. They've worked so hard all summer - may be ready for a rest from gardening.

5 comments:

Jeph said...

Your hoops look pretty tall - and are your beds 4' wide? 3'? What do you use to cover them?

My beds are 12'x4'x1', and I put hoops over my beds (I'd say they look about as tall as yours), and then I had a hard time covering them. The reemay row cover I got seemed like it would be *plenty* wide, but I should've measured first. This fall I ran a pole down the length of the hoops (rested on top, centered, and tied in place), and then had two parallel sheets of row cover overlapping over the pole. Ran string back and forth to either and of the pole to anchor the sheets in place - still not ideal.

I thought about running shorter lengths side to side, but didn't feel like all that work.

I'll be curious to see how you place and anchor your cover!

kb said...

What a lovely winter bed. I'd love to know what varieties you're growing in there. THanks so much.

kathy said...

Jeph - The beds are 4 ft wide. I think the PVC poles is a standard length, so your hoops are probably the same as mine. The remay (Agribon) and plastic that I have covers them with a good foot on each side for anchoring. I am anchoring with with wood boards. I have photos to post soon. I'll measure the row covers too and add in my source.

I can also list my varieties. And add in ones I wish I had.

Brittany said...

Try not using PVC pipes they have a chemical reaction to poly plastic that will eat through the plastic. I work in the industry and have seen a lot of people ruin their overwinter gardens by using PVC hoops.

Hanna Daniels said...

Your winter bed looks so tide and organized. It's nothing like mine. I'll try to make it better next year. It's my first year of gardening, so I have a lot to learn.