Wednesday, May 13, 2015

time to think about fall planting?

I was amazed to see that it's time to plant Brussels sprouts next week. Time to start fall planting! I've tried to plant Brussels sprouts the last two years and ended up with tiny sprouts hardly worth cooking at Thanksgiving time. I suppose the trick is to get the seeds planted at the right time.

Skippy's fall planting app lists planting times for 25 crops. For $0.99, Skippy's Fall Planting Calendar App is available at the Apple store. Fall planting is also included in the Full Season app. Click on the Skippy's Calandar app ad in the upper right corner of this blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kathy, I've been having brussel sprout challenges here in the Berkshires as well.I think you are right, the transplants from the nursery are too far along -- they start forming seeds before it is time. This year I'm starting from seed on my own next week, then feeding heavily just until sprouts form. Then, stop, lop off the top and leave until well into the fall cool weather. Fingers crossed for sprouts this year!
Betsy

kathy said...

Sounds good Betsy. SO you will be planting the first week of June. I will try that too. I never got around to it in the middle of May.

My calendar App says to plant middle of May. We can test it out and see if the beginning of June is good.